Saturday, April 16, 2022

Big Sur Marathon Training

                                       

It's been a while since my last post, but I'm back to marathon training.  I was released in February from my doctor, but asked that I take it easy building on mileage slowly.  He states I would be sore for a while and he was right.  I'm not able to run as fast as I used to, but I'm just happy to be running again.  At first he wanted me to run with an ankle strap-on brace, but only every other day.  He also told me to work on some ankle stretches to strengthen my ankle   I was able to go see Dr. Chapman for physical therapy a couple time and he gave me some instructions on doing some exercises at home.

It felt great to get back to teaching cycle in February and I'm getting stronger everyday.  I went on Keto diet for about 2 weeks to loose weight fast before picking up my mileage.  That seemed to help, but then I switched to more of a Paleo diet.  That is more of how I eat anyway, but I still limit my fruit intake for I know that contains lots of sugar.  I do like eating my carbs as a marathon runner.  I'm also now doing Body Pump 2x for strength training and yoga 1x for a good stretch weekly.  The pounds are coming off and clothes if fitting more loose.  However, my speed isn't picking up.  I don't care.  Just happy to be running injury free with no pain.  

                                          

                                                             Salmon Salad is my favorite

Hard to believe it's a week out before Big Sur Marathon and I pray to stay healthy and not do anything stupid before then.  It's starting to get real.  I ran my 20 miler with Dash last Saturday and she did great!  It started in the high 40's for temps, but on our turn around it go up to 70's and I got hot.  It didn't help that I over dressed and wore my winter running gear either.  I gave Dash extra water breaks and our pace was slower due to warmer weather.  It was a beautiful day and we were taking it all in.  After we finished, I knew I would be able to finish with no ankle pain.  I do believe that I'll be okay on the marathon as long as I listen to my body and take it easy.  

Today, 4-16-22 I ran my last long run of 12 miles with Dash.  It was humid about 74 degrees and happy to see the cloudy skies throughout the whole run.  I finally got my new Brooks shoes and wow.  It makes such a difference.  Don't ever go too long to change out your shoes.  Work has been busy and didn't get around to it till now.  I usually like to get them before I run my 20 miler.  Oh well.  




I borrowed and Air Relax Compression System from my friend and I just might have to invest in one for me.  It has really helped with my sore legs.  It helps remove lactic acid, reduces inflammation, soreness, stiffness and improves flexibility the stimulating recovery and enhancing performance.  I am now running without any ankle pain and have for a couple weeks now.  Oh, it's on!

                                               

So,this is it.  A week from tomorrow, I will be running the Big Sur Marathon and I have my best running buddy, Dash to thank for getting back on track.  This marathon is one I have been waiting on for 2 years now.  Before Covid hit.  I just need to pray, I don't do anything stupid between now and then.  I really excited about this one.  I know, it's going to be very challenging due to the high altitude and crazy hills on top of the wind I'm going to endure.  There will be mountains on one side of me and ocean on the other side when I run this one.  They say you run this one, not for time or pace, but beautiful views throughout whole marathon.  I can't wait!  Till then, keep on running!

                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment