Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Happy New Year 2023

 



Wow!  So much has happened since my last post.  I ran the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon on November 5th and fall I can say is, I finished.  I mean, it wasn't my best time, but the weather conditions made it tough to PR.  It was rainy and super windy.  I did a lot of walk/jog on the second half.  My finish time was 4:08:26.  My second slowest pace.  I was just happy to finish injury free.



It was a fun trip.  I ran this marathon with a good girlfriend of mine and that was the first time to run a race together.  She's an elite runner and no way I could keep up with her even if I tried...LOL!  I don't care.  We're still friends and don't envy her or compete with her.  She's younger than me and accept that we are at different fitness levels.  I admire all marathon runners.  I love this running community and love how we come from all walks of life, all shapes, sizes, speed and all love this sport.  Some people may think we are crazy for running soooo many miles, but we get it!


 

Our husbands went with us to cheer us on and we had a great time.  They are becoming one of our good couple friends we hang out with.  We even met some new friends who love to travel as much as Eddie and I.  We hope to travel one day with them too.




Enjoyed all the fall runs with my Dash.  I ran the Pumpkin Spice Half Marathon in Fort Worth on Nov. 19th.  I had my two running friends pace me.  I wasn't sure I would be able to keep up with them because they are fast runners.  I wasn't able to run all week due to work, so I was a little worried.  To my surprise, I was able to stay with them all the way.  The last two miles, I felt good and was able to pass them up and even pass up a female runner to the finish line.  I ended up getting first place in my age group!  My finished time was 1:43:08 at 7:44 pace.  I received at $50 gift card to Fort Worth Running Co. and a small cake.  Two of my girlfriends also placed and was fun to run into them and race again.


In November, I also ran the Turkey Trot and I came in 3rd place in my age group for the 10K race!


In December, I took a trip to Scramento, CA. to cheer my other elite girlfriend who was running the CIM Marathon.  A lot of elite runners from all over run that race.  Neely Gracey who I follow and listened to her on a Podcast while running was there and she came in the top 10 females.  I was going to sign up to run it with her, but waited too late and it was sold out!  My friend did amazing and got a new PR finishing at 2:46:43!!  It was so fun to see and cheer her on.  It was our first time to travel together and has become a really good friend.  I learned a lot of great running tips and really saw how elite runners prepare before the marathon.  I planned on running a half marathon on my own while she was running, but was only able to run 6.57 miles because I really didn't know where all to run and kinda scary when you see no runners out.  I guess all runners were at the race.  I also, started to feel a sharp pain in my left shin area and never felt that before, so really slowed down my pace and headed back to the marathon to find her.


 

Fast forward to now.  Ever since that last run in CA, that pain continues.  Is it shin splints?  I've never had it last this long before.  Here I am and it's January 8th over a month and it's still there.  I didn't run the whole week when we return back to Texas, but continue with teaching cycle class.  I didn't run much during the holiday break these last two weeks.  The pain is not as back right now.  I didn't run this week until today.  Dash also hurt her left back leg we think chasing squirrels in our back yard.  So, she also didn't run all week.  As soon as I put on my running shoes this morning, she was ready to go with me.  She was limping anymore, so we took it extra slow.  At first she started limping, but I made her slow down and it stopped.  She always gets too excited in the beginning and wants to run fast.  We ran at about 10 min. pace for the 3 miles and that was all we needed to do.  



I don't want to push it for I signed up to run the Houston half marathon this coming weekend.  I probably will not run much this week either, just to make sure I don't get injured worse before the race.  This my first time to run Houston and they say it's a very flat course and a cold run.  I'm going with both of my elite running girlfriends and will be first time we all run together.  I'm looking forward to it and will only do it for fun.


Finally, on December 2, 2022, I got the best news EVER!  I signed up for the Berlin lottery for 2023 and I received the email that I got accepted and I'm in, I'm in!!!  I will not do anything to jeopardize this marathon.  I have to really take care of my shin splints or what the heck is going on with my leg.  Eddie and I are super excited for this will be our first time to visit Germany.  We are also going with one of my elite girlfriends who entered it and got accepted because she is fast runner.  It will be fun to travel with them to run this together.  We have another friend who is also going.  It's going to be a fun run with Texas friends going.  Eddie and I usually go to Europe or somewhere for our wedding anniversary in July.  So, now we are going to push it out until September.  I plan to visit a sports medicine doctor after Houston to see what the deal is with my leg pain and go from there.  I just pray, it's not a fracture.

Until next time, keep on running!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment