Sunday, November 12, 2017

Fort Worth Half Complete

Today, I ran my first race since my stress fracture injury.  I was a nervous wreck because my training hasn’t been that great.  I’ve had to skip a lot of runs due to work and my out patient surgery I had a couple of weeks ago.  However, I really think that helped my foot recover even more.  I felt okay about the course because I have ran that a ton of times and always like to run Trinity Trails for my longer runs.  I know that for the most part it’s a pretty flat course so I wasn’t worried about that part.  I was worried about maybe pushing it too fast and hurting my foot again.  I’ve very competitive when it comes to racing.   I’m competitive with myself only.  I know what I’m capable of and know when to push and back off, but this injury has really tested my patience.  When I was training for this, I wanted to run my normal fast pace, but my foot would hurt and had no choice but to back off.   I had to learn to listen to my body and run what I could tolerate.  Yes, lots and lots of patience with this training and stress fracture recovery.

I ran and felt good during my run.  I didn’t feel my foot hurt at all.  I was so relieved and knew half way through that I was going to be okay.  I started passing people up and felt strong.  Toward the end and last two miles, I started counting to see how many girls I can pass up.  It’s a mental game I play with myself.  It was nice to see Eddie and my son, Noah underneath the finish sign.  Eddie taking pictures as I crossed the finish line.  They are my best cheerleaders and happy they came to see me.
There were 487 who ran the half marathon.  My results: I came in 42nd place overall, I placed 13 out of 298 females, and placed 1st in my age group out of 39.  My pace per mile was 8:08.  I’m very happy with that!  Time to focus on Goofy Half/Marathon in 8 weeks!!! YIKES!

No comments:

Post a Comment