Friday, May 18, 2018

Nashville Rock n' Roll Marathon

Well it's been a couple weeks since I got back from running my Nashville marathon and haven't had any time to post about it due to busy work schedule.  It was the most hilly course I have ever ran!  The weather was in the high 40s when I started and no rain...YAY!  I was excited because I got my girlfriends, Carolyn and Juanita to sign up for the 5K run that morning too.  They are not runners, but heck, walking it is still a workout.  It was a hilly 5K too!  Nashville has really good food and known for country cooking and barbecue. I didn't eat any barbecue; however, I stuffed my face with spicy chicken and waffles after my marathon!  It was worth every bite!  We did some shopping and went to see the Johnny Cash Museum.  We walked all over Broadway which is where all the honky tonk bars are.  Come to find out that Nashville is famous for Bachlorette parties and sure enough, when we walked Broadway Streetk there were this school buses that were converted to party buses for these parties.  We also saw the drink while you pedal while party automobiles (same as seen here in downtown Fort Worth).





Race morning, we all woke up super early to take an Uber to race.  Juanita and Carolyn’s 5K started half an hour before mine did so I walked the to their start line.  On our way there, we went into a church that was allowing us to come in and use their clean bathrooms.  They also had a room where runner could stretch out, drink water and chill out in the warm indoor building.  That was super nice of them to do that.  I almost tripped on my own two feet hitting a curve walking....like twice and Juanita asked a man in the church to pray for me to make sure I have a good run.  That was sweet and felt less nervous about the course.   I just decided to give it my best and not worry about my pace.  I didn’t really watch my watch and just listened to my body.


I was able to run non-stop and the rolling hills just kept coming.  Seeing the pictures of all the St. Jude children along the course somehow made me not give up and fight through it.  They were the reason to run strong till the end!  The hardest part of the race was the last two miles.  It was a good hill to the finish and maybe cursed a little cause the finish line seemed soon far.  The crowd somehow pushed me through till I crossed the finish line.


My babe, Eddie calls me as soon as I crossed the finish to make sure I was okay.  He told me my time and  I was shocked because I finished under my goal of 3:30!  My phone was about to die and I went to find my friends who had text me.  But I just had to sit after getting my goodie snacks to stretch and chill for a few minutes.  So, I turned off my phone.  A girl comes and sits next to me and tell me, "Good job, I tried to stay up with you and catch up to you, but never could.  Those hills were crazy."  I just smiled and told her, "Good job, we finished and that's all that matters, cause yes, that was a hilly course for sure!"  I got up to go find my friends and decided to help a girl take her picture for she was trying to take a selfy with her medal.  She told me that was her first half marathon.  I bragged on her for completing a hilly one for her first one.  We walked together toward the family gathering to find our friends.  I love the running community and all the new runners I meet.  We understand each other and always so happy for each others accomplishments.

I finally found Carolyn and Juanita and of course we had to take our after pics together.  The Rock n' Roll marathons are fun because of the live music all around the course and always finish with a concert to celebrate and cold beer.  I don't really like beer, but after reading about the 80 year old lady who ran the Boston Marathon who celebrates with a pitcher of beer after her finishing, I told myself why not try it!  I drank about half of the Ultra Light beer and I was good...LOL!  We went straight the the hotel for I needed a hot shower.  After we got ready, we went to celebrate with spicy chicken and waffles and loved every bite!  Most of the restaurants have live music and that was pretty cool. Nashville has the best country cooking too!  May have to come back with my babe for a longer trip and go to Memphis and see Graceland where Elvis is from.

Keep on running!

No comments:

Post a Comment