Monday, June 18, 2018

Back Home From the Mountains

We have returned back home from our family vacation in the mountains.  We took our new camper trailer for our first road trip.  Love the mountains.  It was dry, but man, I had the best hair the whole time!  I ran, hiked the Grand Canyon, went through an underground cave, did some crazy obstacle course that challenged me like nothing else,  saw the stars and planets in the clear skies of Arizona and saw a Meteor Crater.


Running in the high altitude  kicked my booty,  but always felt great when I finished!  Eddie even ran with me once.  We ran through a cute neighborhood and found ourselves going through the woods.  Little did we know that it was NOT open to public due to fire hazard because it was so dry up there!  Later on we were told that there is a $10,000 fine if caught...YIKES!  Of course, we didn't say anything!


Flagstaff, AZ is a really nice town and we stayed there a couple days. It's a small town and people are really friendly.  Yes, I did some shopping and bought me a couple outfits that were on sale!  I'm a bargain shopper and love great deals.  While in Flagstaff, we went to a Flagstaff Extreme Adventure Course with the boys.  Noah did the kid's version and Eddie, the boys and I did the adult version.   What is this?  For adults, it's about 17 different obstacles and zip lines.  The obstacles range from rope wings, scrambling walls, hanging nets, wobbly bridges and suspended ones too!  The skill level and height of each circuit are marked using a color-coded system indicating the challenge based on elevation and difficulty.  It starts easy and keeps getting tougher and higher each time.  We were supported by ropes/hooks the whole time.  All of this is done in the forest, high up,  going from tree to tree above ground.  I felt like Tarzan at times.  My upper body strength sucks, so this was very challenging, but loved the challenge!  It took us 3.5 hours to complete!!  If you ever go to Flagstaff, I highly recommend this!

Eddie also found an underground cave to go through.  It was super dark, cold and very rocky! We used our phones for light to make sure we wouldn't trip.  It was fun and there were a lot of people there.  We also went to see the stars and planets at the Lowell Observatory.  While there, we were able to see the planet Venus and Saturn up close through the huge telescopes there! We also saw the telescope that discovered Pluto.  That was pretty cool to see and learn about our solar system.  Another day, we took the boys to a swimming hole and they jumped off cliffs in the ice cold water.  Not me, thanks I passed :)

Next stop was Grand Canyon.  This was by far my favorite thing to see!    We started at 5:30 a.m. and wanted to see the sunset, but didn't make it on time.  The views were breathtaking!  We hiked down 2 miles and went by our little boy, Noah's pace.  That was all he could do and that was fine.  We talked to the Forest Ranger and he recommended we go back up cause it would only get hotter.  They say it gets up to 120 degrees hot down there!  Crazy!  We would take water breaks and just took our time taking pictures and seeing the wildlife and super hungry, fearless squirrels everywhere.  I kid you not.  I have never seen a squirrel that comes up to you and try to drink your whole water bottle and snag your Cheese Nips out of your hand!  Later on, we see signs everywhere stating not to feed the squirrels for they bite and may give you rabies.  YIKES..again!!

On our way back home we stopped at Santa Fe for the night.  The boys have never been there.  I have back in the fall when I went to a work conference.  It's a great town and love the great food there. We were only there one evening and walked the Plaza and bought me some salsa and blue corn bread mix.

Love our family vacations with my boys.  We love the outdoors.  It was a fun trip full of adventure!


No comments:

Post a Comment