Sunday, July 1, 2018

Summer Runs


The temperature in Texas during the summers are starting to get brutal!  I ran with my running buddy Dash and she decided to make a turn to go up some hills.  So, I followed her lead and we ran the Keller Killer Hills in a neighborhood I train to run hills.  She has run a half marathon with me in May, but it's just too hot to run that far during this crazy heat.  I always run before 10 a.m. or after sunset because I want to protect my skin.  Now that I'm older, the sun is not my friend.  Dash is always excited and eager to go run with me.  But this time, she only ran 5 miles and when we got home I checked her paws and she had road burn on her right paw.  I felt horrible.  I always make sure she runs on the grass to my right while I run on the sidewalk or street, but on those hills she runs on the street with me.  Of course she hasn't ran more than 5 miles during the month of June and I don't plan on running her more than that due to the heat, but now this happened!  Of course, she won't run until she get completely healed and after I return from our anniversary trip coming up.



Eddie and I will be celebrating our wedding anniversary in Venice, Italy this year.  It was his turn to pick where we go this year.  We are exited, but always worry about leaving our boys behind.  Although, they will be in good hands with my family, I still miss them.  However, I know that Eddie and I will come back as a better couple and parents to our boys.


I've been incorporating more strength training and even went for a swim after one of my runs this week to cool off.  I love taking Noah to pool to work on his fitness too.  This Saturday, I ran by myself and did 10 miles early like 6:30 a.m.  It was a good time because it was in the 70s and it was cloudy for most of my run.  I'm starting to get really tan, but I always make sure I wear my sunscreen, lip balm and cap every time I run outside.  There were a lot of people out in about at that time and even saw a group of young teenagers running.  I wonder if they were part of a cross-country team.  I remember those days, back in my junior high and high school years.  I think back to that time and never would of thought that I would still be running at my age now!  The way I see it is we may be getting old, but you don't have to act old!

Keep on running!

No comments:

Post a Comment