Monday, November 2, 2020

Shin Splints...Oh NO!


Fall arrives and so grateful for the cooler wheather. It's truly my favorite time of year for running.  I can't believe we are already in November.  Students are now back in school and last month flew by!  My boy Noah is keeping us busy with him being in football this season.  It's his first time to play football and he's doing okay with it.  He's no super huge football athelete, but he's having a good time. 


This were my last long runs on Oct. 17th and 18th


I'm was trying to run 2020 miles by December 31st, but I have developed a new injury.  Now, that will probably not happen.  I got shin splints for the first time ever! It's a different kind of pain.  I can't run on my toes, because I feel a sharp pain go up my right shin every time I land on the ground. It forces me to heel strike, but I know that is not a good way to run either. This all started two weeks ago when I wore heels to work and stepped wrong and my right knee hurt a bit.  A couple days of knee pain it went away, but then my right shin started hurting.  I was able to run 8 miles on a Wednesday.  However, my 4 mile run on Thursday turned into a walk/jog due to pain.   I rested Friday and didn't run my scheduled 18 mile run. Saturday.  I decided to rest the whole next week thinking that would be enough time to heel.  
My last normal 8 mile run on Oct. 21st


I got in a funk and didn't even bother to do strength training/core or any other workout for that matter. Well, everyone I spoke to say that it would take me a couple of weeks/months before it will completely heal!  They say th only thing to cure it is rest!!  That sucks and not what I wanted to hear.  I have a half-marathon coming up this month.  Plus, I switched my Dallas BMW Marathon to virtual and to be completed by December 31st.  What the hell am I going to do?! 
Oct. 22nd starting hurting with shin splints on this run!


I tend to get moody when I can't run.  I feel sorry for Eddie, he has to put up with me during this time.  I start thinking negative thoughts.  I ask my self, "Why is this happening now? Am I getting old that I can't hang with long distance running anymore?  Is it time to start doing something else for exercise??"  I do listen to my body and stop when I hurt.  I just feel sorry for Dash, she's not able to run everyday anymore and good Lord she also needs her exercise too. 



I will have to figure out what else I can do in the meantime. I did go and jog/walk 5 miles Saturday after a whole week of rest, but the pain was still there. Not as bad, but I still don't feel 100%. Eddie went with me and Dash. Eddie ended up picking up his speed on the turn around. He asked if okay? He wanted to see what he could do and I wasn't going to stop him. I was just happy to see him running again. I continue to put ice after running and take Advil for pain. 
I guess I just have to start over with building up my milage and take baby steps until I heal. I pray, this doesn't become a chronic thing and goes away soon rather than later! Till next time, keep on running!!

No comments:

Post a Comment