Sunday, January 3, 2021

Happy New Year 2021

December came and went so fast that I can't believe we are here starting a new year.  I'm so glad to see 2020 gone, but grateful the good things that happened to me in 2020.  I started the year with a new job and absolutely so happy with making that move.  It's been such a blessing to me and my family.  I was able to run my Big Sur Marathon on my own with Noah to follow me on his bike.  Although it got cancelled, I still had done the training for it and didn't want it to go to waste.  I was happy to share it with Noah.  2020 will always be remembered as the year of COVID-19.  It was stressful and so much uncertainty of what the future holds.  There were also may acts of kindness that came about during this year.  This pandemic is history in the making and I pray that the new vaccine prevents more deaths.  

It's been so hard not to be able to see family and have holiday gatherings and celebrations as before, but we have got to stay strong and know this too shall pass.  I thank the good Lord for letting Eddie and I survive COVID and grateful that our boys and mom didn't get it.  I was able to donate my plasma to help save lives.  I pray everyday that my mom and grandma and rest of our family stay safe and healthy this new year.  

                                                                        Love my mami!
        My beautiful grandma made it to 93 years old this New Year Baby was born right at midnight.  

Blessed that even though it was a year we didn't expect, Eddie and I were able to take some trips.  Eddie took me to a beautiful bed and breakfast in AR for my birthday in June.  We took our family to Destin, FL before it got really bad over there.   Eddie and I went to Cancun, Mexico to celebrate our wedding anniversary.  I was able to go to Portland, OR with Carolyn to celebrate there birthday weekend.  Eddie and I also ended the year taking Noah on a skiing trip to Wolf Creek, CO. on Christmas day.  

Before skiingAfter skiing

As far as my running, I had to stop running as of November 18th due to my tibial stress fracture.  I didn't get my MRI results until Nov. 24th, but I knew it was going to be bad news so I quit running.  My doctor had me do some PT once a week and said that for my Christmas present I could run 10 minutes day after Christmas.  Well, I didn't tell him I was going skiing week after Christmas.  I figured since he said no running due to pounding on my joints, but skiing would be okay.  I did tell Eddie that I would have to just take it easy and listen to my body.

                                         

We get there and Noah and I take two hours of ski lessons.  It was just as a refresher course.  It's been 5 years since we went skiing.  Both Eddie and I have a hard time getting up the ski slope with all of our ski gear.  The altitude totally kicked our ass.  I told him it was because we both were out of shape.  If I had  run the Dallas BMW Marathon in early December, I would of been in top shape for skiing.  Eddie, well, he is always out of shape come deer season.  I had to take several breaks to catch my breath.  I wonder if post COVID had anything to do with it too?  Or is it AGE? LOL!  All I know is that it took me a bit to get my skis underneath me.  Noah on the other hand, he was a natural.  He learned everything they taught us and he went a lot faster than me down the slopes.  We skied for 3 days and was able to ski some greens and couple blues.  I fell a couple times, got bruised, but got up and kept trying.  Poor Noah, had to go by himself a couple times cause Eddie couldn't keep up with his endurance.  We both told ourselves we will be in better shape next time for sure! I was pleased to see that I was able to get some miles in to complete my 2020 miles challenge for year 2020.  YAY!!

It snowed a lot on the third day of skiing and at the resort.  They got 29 inches of snow!  It was beautiful to see it.  But when you are skiing, well, that's a different story.  I layered myself so much and had double socks/gloves on and it was still cold.  Temperature was in the 20s up on the mountain and high of 30 the whole time we were there.  Going on the ski lift was super windy and cold as the snow was falling on us.  I was surprised to see there were so many people out too.  Eddie says that's when people want to come out the most due to skiing in the snow powder.  It's the best time to ski, he says.  Well, it may be fun for most people, but Eddie took a pretty good fall and fell on his back hitting his head.  He had a bad headache for a while, but felt better once he got down to lower altitude.  That last day we only skied for half a day.  It was snowing so much and not that fun when you have to wait outside in the cold because the inside lodgings were closed due to COVID restrictions.  We were glad to see that they had a couple restaurants that had indoor dining that we went to in town.  Regardless, we all still had a good time and hope to take the whole family next year.  Hopefully, COVID is gone by then.                                 

To close the year.  On Dec. 31st, I was able run a mile on the treadmill and then took a POP Pilates class for core and a good stretch.  That's just what I needed after skiing trip.  My whole body was so sore due to muscles I haven't used in forever!  On New Years Day, I ran 2 miles on the track with Dash.  She was so happy to finally get to run again with me.  I'm happy to report, I ran pain free.  I did a cycle class yesterday.  I worked on some abs and stretching at home today.  I don't plan to run again until I see my doctor this week.  Like he said, I have to take it easy coming back or I can revert back to injury.  I will listen. I will continue on my fitness journey for 2021 and will not ever give it up! 


                                                     First run of 2021- New Year's Day

This year I plan to run a half marathon that got postponed last spring in February.  Hoping they don't cancel it again.  I plan to lose the 10 lbs I gained while on recovery and the holiday good eating I did :) I have no regrets and know I will lose it!  I hope to still run the Dallas BMW Marathon virtually since I already received my medal and finisher shirt.  I will not wear my shirt or hang my medal until I earn it.  I also hope that Hilda and I are able to run the Big Sur Marathon this year.  Time will tell and we shall see.  I'm just blessed to have gotten to spend more time with my boys, mom and husband this past year.  I'm looking forward to what 2021 will bring and hope it will be better for everyone.  

                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment