Saturday, January 15, 2022

No Exercise for Four Weeks

                                     

It's hard to believe that on December 11th I sprained my ankle hitting a pothole on a 5k holiday run and here were are on Jan. 15th and still not able to run.  With all the holidays, it was hard to get in to see doctor, but was able to go see my Sports Medicine Chiropractor on Dec. 16th.  

Dec. 21st - I had X-rays done and went back for follow-up with same doctor and got results showing.  avulsion fracture by ankle bone.  I was told that no need to wear a boot because not that bad and may continue to teach cycle, but take it easy.  He also said, it's okay to do strength training and showed me a couple of ankle exercise to do at home.  Oh and he said, no running for a month.  FINE!  No running.  I just want nothing to get in my way of running Big Sur in April.

                                               

                                                         This tea is great for inflammation.

New Year's Day Jan. 1st- I go for an easy 5 mile ride up in my neighborhood to try out my new bike I got for Christmas.  I was super nervous.  I felt like I was learning to ride a bike for the first time again.  I haven't owned a bike since I was a little girl.  I was cared of falling and hurting my ankle all over again.  My bruising is almost gone by this time, but it's still tender around my ankle bone.  Well, I didn't fall and felt I was riding like an old lady....LOL!  Eddie even followed me, without me knowing to check on me.  He didn't want me to ride up that busy hill on that route I run.  I did it anyways.  That's when I caught him following me for a bit of my ride.  He also thought I looked nervous riding and was slowing down traffic.  I know it's going to take me a while to get used to.  It's so different from running.

Jan. 6th -  go to see new Podiatrist since mine retired and Eddie felt I need to see one that specializes in foot/ankle.  Well, I got a whole different story from her.  She didn't like that it was still swollen after a month.  I showed her the X-rays and she also did an ultra sound and showed me where the fracture was and yes, it's still very tender.  She said that I would have to get a boot and go for an MRI to get a better picture and see if surgery is needed.  I wanted to punch her face and probably gave her a go to hell look, I was so shocked to hear that!  I told her, I'm been walking on it all this time and was told to keep it mobile and okay teaching cycle.  She made a smart remark, "That's why he's not a podiatrist."  I asked her if I will be able to run my Big Sur Marathon in April and she said that she could't tell me until she sees MRI.  I got teary eyed, but I just felt in my gut I needed to go get a second opinion.  



Jan. 10th- I go get my MRI results, and prayed for no surgery.  The female doctor I saw was home with her child who had COVID and so had to quarantine.  So a male doctor, her partner read the MRI results with me.  He said the same thing my Chiropractor said and what female doctor saw from X-rays.  The MRI results stayed the same and he told me that I would need to wear boot for another four weeks.  He said that for an ankle strain like mine, they have patients on recovery and it takes 8 weeks to heal.  He said it looks like I'm half way there.  I asked him if he thought I would be able to run my scheduled Big Sur Marathon at the end of April, and he said if my cardio is up he thought I could to it, but not to hold him to it.  He said, wait to see what she says in two weeks and see what her recovery plan is for you.  I asked him what about my funky thick toe nail?  He say for me not to cut it and when I come back in two weeks, they can take a piece of it and send to Lab to make sure there is not fungus that could cause an infection.  From what he saw, he could tell it didn't look like anything to worry about.  I may just have to file it down with Eddie's dermal tool to grin it down.  That 's what Dr. Camer had me do several years ago before she retired.  Thank goodness Eddie isn't a toe kind of guy.  HA!  As long as I can run, I can live with that.

                                              

So for now, Dash and I just have to relax and take it easy in order for us to get back in our runs.  I'm going stir crazy and probably gaining more pounds because I still eat like when I ran tons of miles.  Not bueno!  Eddie's brother and wife came in to visit us and diet went out the window last weekend.  Oh well, we did have a great time with them.  For now, I will continue to drink my hot tea, drink my required water intake, wear my boot and TRY to eat clean.  I did find some Youtube core videos a friend recommended and I will try to do just to keep my circulation moving and keep from going STIR CRAZY!

 Till next time,  keep on running :)!!

No comments:

Post a Comment